What choice did you make that you felt had the most positive impact on your career as a programmer? There've been lots of questions here that suggest possibilities:
Was it getting a higher education?
- Masters vs. Work Experience
- Should a programmer go back to school if he/she doesn't have a degree?
- Is there any mandatory certification a programmer should have?
- To what degree(pun) has your college education attributed to the success of your career?
- Should developers go to grad school?
- Is a master's degree overkill?
- Higher pay for advanced degrees?
Was it switching roles?
- Coder/Developer to Architect: Your experiences/realisations, myths broken
- Suited programmers: Power Points and Career Evolution
- How do I transition to management?
- How does one become a consultant?
Was it getting a well-deserved raise?
...or turning one down for the right reasons?
Was it finding the right job?
...or leaving the wrong one?
Did you start your own company?
Or did you learn some important skill or mindset?