I was inspired by Gichin Funakoshi's Twenty Principles, and decided that we software developers ought to have some too, and I couldn't think of a better place to put this than Stack Overflow community wiki.
- It is not about hardware or software, it is about people
- Technologies and tools come and go, patterns and algorithms stay the same
- All languages have a beginning and an end, but they also mate and have offspring
- Whatever you are doing now will sound archaic to your grandchildren, so remember to learn something new every day
- Cherish your testers, all code is guilty until proven innocent
- Nothing is impossible, so never give up
- Ask for help if you need it, give help if asked, and always be polite when doing either
- Content is King and UI is Queen, so make sure they both look good all the time
- Software, like Cooking and Music, is half Art and half Science; therefore, hire Chefs and Musicians
- The product isn't done until it seems like magic to your target audience
- The purpose of software is not to work, but to end work
I believe something like this is the best use of community wiki, I hope we can enshrine this list as something we all subscribe to.